Friday, May 18, 2007

Grace Under Pressure

Some months ago before the mid-term elections, my sister has appointed her slate already. She chose her ABC president to succeed her as mayor, and the administrator as the running mate. The resistance of some members of my family surprised me. They say that they are not consulted and they want Daddy to run instead. I have a hard time talking with them during the patronal fiesta since most of us are in the house. My sister is in China at that time. It was hard for me convincing them that, that was the decision of the party and not solely of our sister. At the end of the day, we agreed to wait for Daddy's decision when he returns from the States.

After Daddy heard the news from them, he conceded to our sister's earlier decision. But they never stop persuading him to reconsider, and went further by plotting a mini-coup within our sister's chosen slate. They succeeded in wrestling out the vice mayor and eight councilors to form a breakaway slate with Daddy running as mayor. With 65 days to go before election, we have no other recourse but to yield to their schemes. After all, 'blood is thicker than water' as the famous saying goes.